Texas Waterfowler Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Waterfowler » Waterfowlers Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mojo Placement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mojo Placement
    Posted: 18 November 2010 at 4:42pm
I bought a couple of mojos from Cabelas recently and have been experimeting with where I place them in the spread.  For those of you with mojos, where do you place them in your spread and why?  Have you ever had birds flare because of the placement of your mojo?
Triple F View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic
Founder - French Maids-R-Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 4:44pm
I've found that if I plac...........

nevermind.  I'm not worthy enough to impart any of my personal insight on this matter.

I'm old

and a douchebag

and nobody here likes me Frown
"I hunt ducks because I'm too fat to be a ninja." Ducknut, August 11, 2010

Evidently, Gundogger is my huckleberry.........wierd!
WWR-IV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWR-IV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 4:46pm
How many?

Four works the best.

Make a "J" formation and put them in the bottom of the "J"

If that doesn't work make a "C" with the decoys. Place them on the curve.

Edited by WWR-IV - 18 November 2010 at 4:46pm
A_Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by duckbill duckbill wrote:

I bought a couple of mojos from Cabelas recently and have been experimeting with where I place them in the spread.  For those of you with mojos, where do you place them in your spread and why?  Have you ever had birds flare because of the placement of your mojo?

with all of the other recent posts......my instincts tell me this has got to be a joke Embarrassed

little_duckmen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little_duckmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 4:49pm

make sure you have them landing into the wind, or they seem to spook.. Also big ducks wont land exactly in your spread so where do you think you should place your mojo?? where you dont want the big ducks to land.. teal will land anywhere

the duck gods like duck tattoos its that simple
duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 4:50pm

Is the top of the "J" closest to the blind?

HowardTheDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowardTheDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 5:11pm

Honestly, I have found that the mojo works best when placed in the bag and stored at the bottom of the boat.ThumbsUp
CajunDan View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by HowardTheDuck HowardTheDuck wrote:

Honestly, I have found that the mojo works best when placed in the bag and stored at the bottom of the boat.ThumbsUp
X2

J e r k cords work mucho better. Wings in the air flare.

Edited by CajunDan - 18 November 2010 at 5:50pm
quackiller View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quackiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by little_duckmen little_duckmen wrote:

. Also big ducks wont land exactly in your spread

i guess the big ducks i've hunted the past few years didn't get that memo.
CajunDan View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 6:45pm

make sure you have them landing into the wind, or they seem to spook.. Also big ducks wont land exactly in your spread so where do you think you should place your mojo?? where you dont want the big ducks to land.. teal will land anywhere

So where do you put your family groups and what about pockets? What if there's no teal? Do you hunt way outside the spread so you can shoot at the big ducks?
greenmonster View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 1:00am

Not too sure about this either. I've never heard this before
"If you pretend to be a queer in a movie...you're a queer."
Ducknut Sept 13th 2011

duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 2:45am
Originally posted by HowardTheDuck HowardTheDuck wrote:

I think it just depends on where you are and what part of the season you're in.  Seems like they work earlier in the season where I'm at. 
JET4 View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JET4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 3:20am
uummmmmmm...Why are y'all talking about duck hunting. I think there are other forums out there if you want to talk hunting....just sayinRollEyes

Chuckwagon View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:08am
After teal season the best place to put your mojo is back in the bag and left in the garage.
http://www.blessinghuntingclub.com

BHC 2014 - TX/AR club, group and sublease openings available, contact me for details
chuck leaman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck leaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:08am
Put em away after the first week or so of the season.

duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:18am
Okay, for the obviously uneducated ones on this forum...

Let's pretend it's teal season and let's also pretend that it's the first week of the season... where do you place your mojo(s) in your spread?

Do you guys get it?  Do you think you can answer that really simple question I just proposed to you, or will you need me to try and simplify it even further?
Major29 View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Major29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:18am
Originally posted by chuck leaman chuck leaman wrote:

AMEN! Clap
Triple F View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic
Founder - French Maids-R-Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:26am

Okay, for the obviously uneducated ones on this forum...

Let's pretend it's teal season and let's also pretend that it's the first week of the season... where do you place your mojo(s) in your spread?

Although nobody likes me, and I'm too old to be hardcore, here's my answer to this particular question:

Place it in the pocket, landing zone, kill zone, cup, or whatever you call the area that you have created with your spread where you are trying to encourage the ducks to actually land.  During the time that they are still effective, they act like a duck magnet and you will usually have to be very careful to not shoot your spinner because the ducks will actually be trying to land right next to it.

It's also a big plus if you're wearin a beanie AND hoodie and have a nifty, catchy nickname sticker on your gun barrel.

Edited by Triple F - 19 November 2010 at 4:26am
"I hunt ducks because I'm too fat to be a ninja." Ducknut, August 11, 2010

Evidently, Gundogger is my huckleberry.........wierd!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck leaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:33am

For teal season what pig slayer with a chicks gun says.

duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:34am
FFF - thanks for your comments.  They were actually constructive and answered my question. 

If you will provide me with a beanie and hoodie, I would be more than willing to wear those while out hunting over my mojo if they will help me kill ducks.  I'm not much for putting stickers/decals on my gun though.  If that hurts my chances of shooting a duck, then so be it.
duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:34am

For teal season what pig slayer with a chicks gun says.

Thanks Chuck.
Joe B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:35am
place them on ebay and buy a Higden pulsator...is that simple enough?

duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Major29 Major29 wrote:

AMEN! Clap

Boy, you must be retarded.  My question assumes that you are putting the mojo out in your spread.  Responses like this are really just a waste of a post and doesn't help at all.  That's what is frustrating about this place some times.  A guy attempts to ask a serious question and gets stupid responses like yours.  Here, I'll give you a clapping smiley for being a dumba$$ Clap.
NM-Aggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM-Aggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:40am
What seems to work the best where I'm at is creating a "pocket" in the decoys (setting basically 2 groups of decoys with a nice space between them) and then I put the mojo off to one side of the opening. Usually closest to the blind (still 10-yds out). If I'm getting ducks fully committing into the "pocket", I leave Mr. Mojo out. If they are not committing or landing outside the decoys, I pull Mr. Mojo.

I try to set the decoys so the birds can come in and land into the wind without having to land by coming in over any decoys. A nice big patch of open water that they can make their home.

I think the mojo's number one function is causing confusion in the duck's mind. After they land in the pocket, they get a very confused look on their little duck faces and seem to be thinking "Why is that guy flapping his wings, but not landing?" and in that brief half second of confusion they loose their guard and I am able to stand up and send some hot steel their way.

That's big ducks. Teal around here still seem to defy all duck logic and pretty much do whatever they want. I've had them land against the wind, land right in the middle of a glob of decoys, right next to the mojo, way outside the decoys, with the wind and in a nice big opening. All in the same hunt!
duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Joe B Joe B wrote:

I've got something else I use to create movement on the water.  I wouldn't mind having a Higden Pulsator though, those things are sweet.
duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:45am
Thanks NM-Aggie.  I have seen that look before.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck leaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:49am

AMEN! Clap

Boy, you must be retarded.  My question assumes that you are putting the mojo out in your spread.  Responses like this are really just a waste of a post and doesn't help at all.  That's what is frustrating about this place some times.  A guy attempts to ask a serious question and gets stupid responses like yours.  Here, I'll give you a clapping smiley for being a dumba$$ Clap.

I got your retarded. You asked a question and I gave you an answer. The cold fronts blow the bluewings out of here after the first week of the season making the spinners pretty much ineffective. Replace em with shakers and a **** cord. Add a few dozen coot decoys to your spread as well.

duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:03am

Major29 is the retard.  I understand what you are saying now and what you were saying earlier, but it just doesn't answer my question, although you did answer it when you agreed with what "pig slayer with a chicks gun" said.

I know everyone on here thinks that the way they hunt, the equipment they use, the way they set their decoys is far superior than anyone else and that everyone should try to emulate them.  However, a comment along the lines of "I usually put my mojo away after teal season or after the first week or two of regular season, but when I do use it this is were I place it" would have been far more helpful to me than just "leave it in the boat."

Just a thought.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck leaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:09am
Put it the same place as teal season if you feel you must use it. That part doesnt change. One more thing. Set it to were the wings stay moving. But do get you some coot decoys.

duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:15am

Put it the same place as teal season if you feel you must use it. That part doesnt change. One more thing. Set it to were the wings stay moving. But do get you some coot decoys.

I appreciate it.
GDO7 View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GDO7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:19am
Put it in the shed unless you are in Rockport.  Spinners are just another money maker in my honest opinion. I DO NOT own one. ThumbsUp
Cody4E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody4E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:19am
This is an honest answer....

Ive been experimenting with pullin the big flappers and jus using the teal mojos but not puttin them in the usual places as mentioned above. Instead I have been using 2-3 teal mojos stuck all the way down to water level just as high as the other dekes around it. And at that I have been puttin them in the middle of larger wads of decoys instead of in the kill zone. And also having them facing in all different directions so ducks circling or whatever dont always have the angle to see the flapping goin on. The idea im banking on is that they look less like landing ducks and more like strectching ducks and less like the stereotypical mojo in a spread look.

Results have been mixed and the trusty ****cord has been deployed to help out.

x2 on the pulsators but you need a few of them to make enough ripple to be worth a darn....2 is good 3 is better etc ....Prolly goin on the xmas list
www.texasquacksmacker.com
Major29 View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Major29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:29am

Major29 is the retard.  I understand what you are saying now and what you were saying earlier, but it just doesn't answer my question, although you did answer it when you agreed with what "pig slayer with a chicks gun" said.

I know everyone on here thinks that the way they hunt, the equipment they use, the way they set their decoys is far superior than anyone else and that everyone should try to emulate them.  However, a comment along the lines of "I usually put my mojo away after teal season or after the first week or two of regular season, but when I do use it this is were I place it" would have been far more helpful to me than just "leave it in the boat."

Just a thought.
I'm gonna ignore that first comment.  I don't appreciate being called a retard for agreeing with Chuck...though it may not have answered your question the way you wanted it, I agreed with the statement he made, I do also use Mojos, but I typically do not put them out after the first week or two of the season as, in my experience, and totally in my opinion, they flare more ducks than they bring in.  I am one of the guys that actually get on here to share and recieve good advice and information about duck and goose hunting, not pick fights and start a bunch of junk to get everyone riled up.  So please don't give me flack for agreeing with somebody else's post.
duckbill View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:36am

I do also use Mojos

Where do you place them?  If you think they flare more birds than they bring in, that's great.  If you pull them after the first couple weeks of the season, that's great.  BUT, when you use them, as you say you do/have, where do you place them relative to all the other ducks in your spread?

Sorry I went off there for a second on you and Chuck and I think someone else, but dang, I am just trying to get an answer to my question.
phhunt&fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phhunt&fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:37am

From my "limited experience", NM - Aggie is right, and I like what Cody4E is saying.

And, coot decoys do help.
I am what I am 'cause I ain't what I used to be.
Major29 View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Major29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:39am

I do also use Mojos

Where do you place them?  If you think they flare more birds than they bring in, that's great.  If you pull them after the first couple weeks of the season, that's great.  BUT, when you use them, as you say you do/have, where do you place them relative to all the other ducks in your spread?

Sorry I went off there for a second on you and Chuck and I think someone else, but dang, I am just trying to get an answer to my question.

When I do use them, I tend to put them on the up-wind side on the edge of the spread, I normally will put out 2 Mojo Teal and 1 Mojo Mallard, I will space them about 8' - 10' apart, I think this makes it look like they are on thier way to land in the "pocket".
CajunDan View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 6:01am

I do also use Mojos

I'll answer it yet again. Chunck the mojo in de trash. even during teal season. Jeez, they're teal. The dang things will decoy to a spread of coke bottles.

If you want realism in the spread make you some bilge feeders that shoot water up. kinda like these: [IMG">

Ducks don't give a crud about flappin wing ducks. All they see from a distance is WHITE FLASHES. Hence add more white to the spread. That's why mojo had those little sticks with the spinning wing on it. They couldn't market it because people didn't get it. A whole duck flappin was more marketable.

Motion on the water is what finishes the ducks. A J e r k cord has worked for as long as I can remember because it makes motion on the water. Ripples don't attract the ducks..... the motion the ripples cause the decoys to do draws ducks.

If a duck looks down at a spread and it is dead calm he goes elsewhere. If he looks down and it has the appearance that ducks are gettin down on some groceries..... Woo Hoo it's dinner time.

Mojo's are a gimmick and only work when ducks are far off. Why you think they put remote controls on them shortly after they came out? So you could turn the things off.

marshrat View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

OkieRat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by JET4 JET4 wrote:

uummmmmmm...Why are y'all talking about duck hunting. I think there are other forums out there if you want to talk hunting....just sayinRollEyes

Precisely. Duck hunting talk is not the reason that I joined this site.
marshrat View Drop Down
Duckaholic
Duckaholic

OkieRat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 8:54am

Originally posted by Joe B Joe B wrote:

I've got something else I use to create movement on the water.  I wouldn't mind having a Higden Pulsator though, those things are sweet.

I just got one the other day along with the two mojo deal. The mojos work really well up here for some reason. I have always taken them down after early teal, but I have been astounded at how well they have worked.
HowardTheDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowardTheDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 9:16am

I do also use Mojos

Here is what I do.  If the wind is directly at our backs, I set out two groups of decoys on either side of the blind (I like to have the decoys in "family groups" of 3 or 4 comprising the large group).  I will place the spinner right next to the decoys on the inside of the pocket we created.  It always faces into the wind and it is about halfway between the closest decoy and the farthest decoy.

If the wind is at an angle, I like to create a semi J decoy pattern.  The spinner goes into the J where it bends.  Again, right next to the decoys and head facing into the wind.

Dont put any decoys behind the spinner.  Ducks typically dont like to land flying over another duck.  And, be sure do face the spinner into the wind.  Ducks use the wind to land just like airplanes.

There is a caveat to this though.  Spinners work better on sunny days.  Spinners flare ducks usually after opening weekend.  And, what worked yesterday may not work tomorrow.ThumbsUp

And buy a Higdon pulsator for those "calm" days.  They kick up a lot of water and add ripples.
little_duckmen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little_duckmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by CajunDan CajunDan wrote:

So where do you put your family groups and what about pockets? What if there's no teal? Do you hunt way outside the spread so you can shoot at the big ducks?
Actually i group my decoys by species in a C with the big  pocket rite infront of me.. And  the teal scaterd out cause they just seam to land anywere... thats just what i do and from my successfal hunts id say it work.. but thats just me.. and everywere i hunt has teal, but if there was no teal there would be no teal decoys...
the duck gods like duck tattoos its that simple
jb03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 1:10pm
I try to place my Mojo in the pocket where I want the ducks to land.

What I have noticed...
On really clear days, I don't know if it has done any good or not. Especially if the ducks are circling more than once. It seems to me that they figure out "Why hasn't that dude landed yet?"

Last Sunday it was very cloudy and overcast. Mojo worked like a champ. We had two groups go straight for him and try to land on him. The flashes is all the ducks could see as it was right at LST so he attracted them to us. Right into the kill zone.

YMMV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic